Recommended video card for AMD Athlon XP 3200+ system

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
(http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
together.

I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
me.

Thanks
Jason

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
> together.
>
> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
> me.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

I think a FX5900XT would be a good match for it. Either that, or a 9800
Pro. Both are about the same price, but I'd probably use an nvidia chipset
video card on an nvidia chipset mainboard. -Dave

Jason Gallas wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
> together.
>
> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
> me.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

You could spend a little or a lot, but it depends on what you want to do
with it! You neglected to mention that important detail...

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:42:52 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

:Jason Gallas wrote:
:> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
:> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
:> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
:> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
:> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
:> together.
:>
:
:You could spend a little or a lot, but it depends on what you want to do
:with it! You neglected to mention that important detail...

Just about everything. I'm a geek at heart and like games as well as
DVD ripping/burning, etc.

> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
> together.
>
> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
> me.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

I just finished building an AMD Athlon 3200+ system with 1 gig of
RAM, and the video card I picked is a Sapphire-branded ATI Radeon
9600 XT. I'm happy with it. I got it for $189.99 Canadian, before tax.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:31:26 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

[...]

Sounds good. Any disadvantage in going with an ATI card while using
an Nvidia based motherboard (like the one I have)?

Jason Gallas wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:42:52 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
> :Jason Gallas wrote:
> :> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
> :> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
> :> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
> :> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
> :> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
> :> together.
> :>
> :> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
> :> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
> :> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
> :> me.
> :>
> :> Thanks
> :> Jason
> :>
> :
> :You could spend a little or a lot, but it depends on what you want to do
> :with it! You neglected to mention that important detail...
>
> Just about everything. I'm a geek at heart and like games as well as
> DVD ripping/burning, etc.

Well then, the limits are mostly budgetary! I had a brief look at your
motherboard (thanks for the link) and the only hardware limit is that
you can't use one of the brand new PCI Express cards. You'll be wanting
an AGP 8x graphics card, and there are so very very many (and not just
ATi or nVidia based units). So, what's your budget?

:> :Jason Gallas wrote:
:> :> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
:> :> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
:> :> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
:> :> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
:> :> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
:> :> together.
:> :>
:> :> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
:> :> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
:> :> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
:> :> me.
:> :>
:> :> Thanks
:> :> Jason
:> :>
:> :
:> :You could spend a little or a lot, but it depends on what you want to do
:> :with it! You neglected to mention that important detail...
:>
:> Just about everything. I'm a geek at heart and like games as well as
:> DVD ripping/burning, etc.
:>
:
:Well then, the limits are mostly budgetary! I had a brief look at your
:motherboard (thanks for the link) and the only hardware limit is that
:you can't use one of the brand new PCI Express cards. You'll be wanting
:an AGP 8x graphics card, and there are so very very many (and not just
:ATi or nVidia based units). So, what's your budget?

I don't want to spend more than $150 if I can avoid it.

Dave C. wrote:
> "Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>
>>I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
>>card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
>>Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
>>(http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
>>for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
>>together.
>>
>>I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
>>would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
>>not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
>>me.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Jason
>>

> I think a FX5900XT would be a good match for it. Either that, or a 9800
> Pro. Both are about the same price, but I'd probably use an nvidia chipset
> video card on an nvidia chipset mainboard. -Dave

I prefer nVidia drivers myself, but in their latest edition ATi have
done better. I only wish they had this version available 5 months ago
when I first started using an ATi based gaming card.

> I just finished building an AMD Athlon 3200+ system with 1 gig of
> :RAM, and the video card I picked is a Sapphire-branded ATI Radeon
> :9600 XT. I'm happy with it. I got it for $189.99 Canadian, before tax.
>
> Sounds good. Any disadvantage in going with an ATI card while using
> an Nvidia based motherboard (like the one I have)?

That I don't know for sure. However, I'd be surprise if ATI cards
weren't designed to run on all popular motherboards. Wouldn't make
much sense.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:11:37 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

:> I just finished building an AMD Athlon 3200+ system with 1 gig of
:> :RAM, and the video card I picked is a Sapphire-branded ATI Radeon
:> :9600 XT. I'm happy with it. I got it for $189.99 Canadian, before tax.
:>
:> Sounds good. Any disadvantage in going with an ATI card while using
:> an Nvidia based motherboard (like the one I have)?
:
:That I don't know for sure. However, I'd be surprise if ATI cards
:weren't designed to run on all popular motherboards. Wouldn't make
:much sense.

No doubt that it will work. I'm just wondering if there are any
advantages of having an Nvidia card on an Nvidia motherboard.

Jason Gallas wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:57:19 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
> :Jason Gallas wrote:
> :> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:42:52 +0800, spodosaurus
> :> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
> :>
> :> :Jason Gallas wrote:
> :> :> I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a video
> :> :> card for a newly built system. It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with 1
> :> :> Gigabyte of dual channel RAM. I received a motherboard
> :> :> (http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=196)
> :> :> for free from a friend and thought I would see what I could put
> :> :> together.
> :> :>
> :> :> I didn't want to get anything that was overkill for this system, but
> :> :> would like to upgrade from my GeForce 3 that I currently have. I'm
> :> :> not too particular about Nvidia or ATI so either brand would work for
> :> :> me.
> :> :>
> :> :> Thanks
> :> :> Jason
> :> :>
> :> :
> :> :You could spend a little or a lot, but it depends on what you want to do
> :> :with it! You neglected to mention that important detail...
> :>
> :> Just about everything. I'm a geek at heart and like games as well as
> :> DVD ripping/burning, etc.
> :>
> :
> :Well then, the limits are mostly budgetary! I had a brief look at your
> :motherboard (thanks for the link) and the only hardware limit is that
> :you can't use one of the brand new PCI Express cards. You'll be wanting
> :an AGP 8x graphics card, and there are so very very many (and not just
> :ATi or nVidia based units). So, what's your budget?
>
> I don't want to spend more than $150 if I can avoid it.

That's going to be an important limiting factor. If you can go up about
$25 you can get a nVidia 5900XT based video card (this is what I'd
personally buy, or a 5700 Ultra based card). I'm not thrilled with ATi's
drivers (aside from a few otther issues in the past, they still cannot
remember the refresh rate setting after a reboot), but they beat nVidia
in bang for buck on the hardware front. For a few dollars less (and
within your budget), you can easilly go with an ATi 9600XT based card. I
have one of these in my windows box.

griffingirl1993

I have a Motherboard for an Athelon. I am a novice. My videocard burned up. My brother removed it and discarded it. Told me what to order. I ordered a card, and it does not fit the slots. I AM in DIRE need of advice. I have photos of the mother board with the slots. Can you tell me what type of board I can get to fit. I bought a second board and it looks like it should fit, but it is too long.

Not a big gamer, just photos and DVD movies to play on it. I have all of my children's baby photos on this CPU. I have to get to this.....

Please look at it and tell me what you think I need to get please. I can email you the photos, since I have no way to post them on the web. My attachemts are safe and virus free.

Blessings, :hello:

B Griffin in Van Alstyne, TX
dfwtwins@gmail.com