POTS and VOIP line switching/control

Hi I'm looking for device that can handle two incoming call
and make only one line for out going call.

The purpose is I'm not going abandon land lines and use it for
all incoming call which I had for long time and want to use
all out going call by VoIP line.

There's device perfectly matche my need but
I'm not able to buy it in USA.

http://www.artech.com.tw/html/english/ax520/Ax520.htm

If anyone know similar product as above please let me know.

cosxpc@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi I'm looking for device that can handle two incoming call
> and make only one line for out going call.
>
> The purpose is I'm not going abandon land lines and use it for
> all incoming call which I had for long time and want to use
> all out going call by VoIP line.
>
> There's device perfectly matche my need but
> I'm not able to buy it in USA.
>
> http://www.artech.com.tw/html/english/ax520/Ax520.htm
>

> If anyone know similar product as above please let me know.

Some VOIP services (like ATT callvantage) let you place two outgoing
calls at the same time (and if the first is still active when you switch
back to it, you have a 3-way conversation).

cosxpc@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi I'm looking for device that can handle two incoming call
> and make only one line for out going call.
ok.

> The purpose is I'm not going abandon land lines and use it for
> all incoming call which I had for long time and want to use
> all out going call by VoIP line.
ok. Most ATA's like the SIPURA 3000 are able to do this.

> http://www.artech.com.tw/html/english/ax520/Ax520.htm
This would be BEHIND an ATA and is switching the POTS lines..
ATA's like the SIPURA 3000 have an INCOMING and an OUTGOING Pots line jack.

So you connect this to the internet (ethernet behind a router or
directly to the DSL line) and also to the POTS line.

On the other side you connect a POTS phone. Then you can set up your own
dial plan when to use VoIP and when the Pots (say for local calls).

Thats doing what you want and more.

Wolfgang

I went through a similar search a few months back and spent a
considerable amount of time researching solutions. I also poseted in
this group, but didn't find a suitable solution. I wanted a device
that passthru incoming calls on either line to the sole
equipment/handset line. I also wanted the handset to use the POTS
landline by default (so visitors didn't have to "think" to get 911!)
and use the VoIP line if a key prefix was entered before the number.

I did quite a bit of looking around. I didn't want a call forwarder,
an Asterisk server, or a Mitel switch. I just wanted a little box I
could hide in the closet and forget about.

> http://www.artech.com.tw/html/english/ax520/Ax520.htm
The device you mentioned comes close, but it would swap defaults on
power outage. Not what I wanted. I want the POTS to always be the
default, power on or power off.
BTW, the company will ship to you. Just write them an email. They got
back to me in a couple days. You can also purchase this box online
from France, where I believe it's used fairly extensively.

I also checked out this:
http://natcomm.com.au/america/index.cfm?page=product_details&id=37&product_id=37
They're outside the US too, but actually have a US ordering page. This
device too came close but didn't exactly meet my needs.

(BTW, Mark Popek has been posting often to tout a device he markets.
I'd look into it further before buying it though. It appears to
require manual selection to switch between outgoing lines, although I
may be wrong. I wanted completely automatic incoming switching, and
at-the-handset selection of outgoing line.)

I finally settled on a relatively expensive US device
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/skutch/telecomacc/as50.htm
It does precisely what I wanted. Incoming rings on either line ring my
phone and make the other line appear busy to other callers. If you
lift the handset to make an outgoing call, you get the POTS line.
Dialing *# gives you the VoIP line, and you can proceed with dialing as
usual. When you are using one of the lines for the outgoing call, the
other line is made busy, just like in the incoming case. If power
fails, it uses the POTS line. Perfect! But expensive: about $200.
Still, I've dropped my POTS line to minimal service, under $10 per
month including tax, and I'm saving a bundle by using VoIP for all
else, so this device will easily pay for itself.

The setup is incredibly simple, as you might imagine. It's wired like
this:

POTS line--------------------------------------[L1 ]
[ AS-50 TD]---to house
phones
cable line--[modem]--[router]--[VoIP adapter]--[L2 ]

Hope this helps,
jeff

On 22 Mar 2005 22:28:22 -0800, "Jeff Kowalski"
<jeff.kowalski@autodesk.com> wrote:

<<SNIP>>
>I finally settled on a relatively expensive US device
>http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/skutch/telecomacc/as50.htm
>It does precisely what I wanted. Incoming rings on either line ring my
>phone and make the other line appear busy to other callers. If you
>lift the handset to make an outgoing call, you get the POTS line.
>Dialing *# gives you the VoIP line, and you can proceed with dialing as
>usual. When you are using one of the lines for the outgoing call, the
>other line is made busy, just like in the incoming case. If power
>fails, it uses the POTS line. Perfect! But expensive: about $200.
>Still, I've dropped my POTS line to minimal service, under $10 per
>month including tax, and I'm saving a bundle by using VoIP for all
>else, so this device will easily pay for itself.

For the same $200 or less, you could have bought a Panasonic or AAstra
2-line phone with CID, and a small battery backup.
\
Carl Navarro

Carl Navarro wrote:
> For the same $200 or less, you could have bought a Panasonic or
AAstra
> 2-line phone with CID, and a small battery backup.

Carl,

You're absolutely right, but then I'd have to replace all my phones. I
have more than one multi-handset system in the house, all single line
at present, and the total cost of replacement would have been greater.
More importantly, I actually want a single line phone, so that when you
pick it up you get the POTS line by default. I have visitors
(including a nanny, other parents, babysitter, or housesitter) who I'd
rather not have to educate on the phone system. Even choosing between
just two lines is a hurdle that I'd rather not have them contemplate
while trying to dial 911 if one of the kids gets hurt or some other
emergency arises. In my setup, there's no thinking required in a panic
situation when one needs help, no extra buttons to press, and no
decisions - just turn the phone on and dial 911. Of course, for
"normal" phone calls, you need to press *# first, but that's easily
programmable into the speed dial slots.
But then again, my case is fairly special. You're right to point out
that a two line phone system is probably the way to go for most folks.
Perhaps the original poster had a desire similar to mine for line
forking/selection.

jeff

Jeff Kowalski wrote:

> More importantly, I actually want a single line phone, so that when you
> pick it up you get the POTS line by default. ... Of course, for
> "normal" phone calls, you need to press *# first, but that's easily
> programmable into the speed dial slots.

But why switching between two ANALOG lines? If one of these lines is
bound to a VoIP then you need an ATA to convert IP telephony into analog
phone signals. Then you need TWO devices. The ATA and this switching box.

But MANY GOOD ATA's really include this function with programmable
access to an analog line.
So you need only ONE device which cost around 100$.

As I mentioned before the Sipura SPA-3000 does exactly what you need!
This device is connected to Ethernet for IP-telephony AND to a POTS line
for analog calls.
On the other side you connect the SINGLE LINE phone.
And there is power-failure fallback to the analog line!

Then you can set up a dial plan, when to use which line.
So easily 911 (in Europe 112) can use the analog line.
And you can even choose between different VoIP Providers!

Wolfgang

PS: Look at http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm
for a detailed description.

> Then you can set up a dial plan, when to use which line.

I think this point is lost on some folks. Devices like the Sipura offer
some pretty flexible options on how it handles what happens when the handset
line is picked up and numbers are dialed. A PBX system like asterisk is
even more flexible. Dial plans can be QUITE sophisticated.

Sounds very interesting, Wolfgang, thanks.
Does Vonage support this device?

jeff

there is a device, that does exactly what you wish. Inexpensive too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765185626&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

the seller has a 100% eBay rating after selling thousands of these units!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5764939488&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

read more here

<cosxpc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I'm looking for device that can handle two incoming call
> and make only one line for out going call.
>
> The purpose is I'm not going abandon land lines and use it for
> all incoming call which I had for long time and want to use
> all out going call by VoIP line.
>
> There's device perfectly matche my need but
> I'm not able to buy it in USA.
>
> http://www.artech.com.tw/html/english/ax520/Ax520.htm
>

> If anyone know similar product as above please let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5768147925&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Marc H.Popek wrote:
> there is a device, that does exactly what you wish. Inexpensive too!
> the seller has a 100% eBay rating after selling thousands of these units!

The truth is that eBay is happy to remove negative feedback for big
powersellers.
But, still, the positive comments seem to be the majority nevertheless.

Frans..

I am one of the good guys! 100% customer satisfaction.

The voip pots switches wee designed and manufactured by my hand, so I am
intimately involved with the entire process. why not try one?.. or two :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5771583566&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5771236816&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

"Frans Keijer" <frans.keijer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Marc H.Popek wrote:
> > there is a device, that does exactly what you wish. Inexpensive too!
> > the seller has a 100% eBay rating after selling thousands of these
units!

> The truth is that eBay is happy to remove negative feedback for big
> powersellers.
> But, still, the positive comments seem to be the majority nevertheless.

These CLT units are back on ebay! New shippment has arrived!
They move fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776785443&rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776926365&rd=1&sspagenam