Hello to all,
My first post here, hope I have correct group.
My friend had to re-instal a Hewlett Packard printer, problems are
the only thing he encountered.
He has had numerous emails with HP but no solution, hope someone here can
help.
Each time he goes through the wizard he gets 7/8's of the way through it
when it asks for USBSCAN.SYS file, and when he points it to where it is, he
gets this message:::
** THE SOFTWARE YOU ARE INSTALLING FOR THE
>> HARDWARE
>> HP PSC 1310 SERIES HAS NOT PASSED WINDOWS LOGO TESTING COMPATIBLY WITH
>> WINDOWS XP, CONTINUING YOUR INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE MAY IMPAIR
>> OR
>> DESTABILIZE THE CORRECT OPERATION OF YOUR SYSTEM EITHER IMMEDIATELY OR
>> IN
>> THE FUTURE, and two buttons under that message
>> Button 1 { continue anyway) or Button 2 { stop installation} so I
>> pressed
>> continue.
>> 4. File Needed came up again so I loaded it from C:\windows \drive
>> 5. Found New Hardware wizard :- cannot install this hardware there was
>>
>> problem installing this hardware, hppsc 1310 series. WHY
**********************

Some of the above is his text either to me or to HPs help people.
Here is another thing also, he borrowed a canon printer and installed it;
it fired up and printed with no problems....... could his printer have a
problem?
It does seem unlikely as all he did was uninstal it then re-instal it.
Has anyone ever heard of a connection between the above needed file and the
WINDOWS LOGO?

At the moment, HP are telling him all sorts of things like 'download service
pack 1',
but he already has Pack2.

Truely hope you guys can help as he is 400 miles away and doesnt capiche
N/G's at all.

Many thanks for reply,

regards Jane

jane wrote:
> Hello to all,
> My first post here, hope I have correct group.
> My friend had to re-instal a Hewlett Packard printer, problems are
> the only thing he encountered.
> He has had numerous emails with HP but no solution, hope someone here
> can help.
> Each time he goes through the wizard he gets 7/8's of the way through
> it when it asks for USBSCAN.SYS file, and when he points it to where
> it is, he gets this message:::
> ** THE SOFTWARE YOU ARE INSTALLING FOR THE
>>> HARDWARE
>>> HP PSC 1310 SERIES HAS NOT PASSED WINDOWS LOGO TESTING COMPATIBLY
>>> WITH WINDOWS XP, CONTINUING YOUR INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE MAY
>>> IMPAIR OR
>>> DESTABILIZE THE CORRECT OPERATION OF YOUR SYSTEM EITHER IMMEDIATELY
>>> OR IN
>>> THE FUTURE, and two buttons under that message
>>> Button 1 { continue anyway) or Button 2 { stop installation} so I
>>> pressed
>>> continue.
>>> 4. File Needed came up again so I loaded it from C:\windows \drive
>>> 5. Found New Hardware wizard :- cannot install this hardware there
>>> was a
>>>
>>> problem installing this hardware, hppsc 1310 series. WHY
>>> **********************
>
> Some of the above is his text either to me or to HPs help people.
> Here is another thing also, he borrowed a canon printer and installed
> it; it fired up and printed with no problems....... could his printer
> have a problem?
> It does seem unlikely as all he did was uninstal it then re-instal it.
> Has anyone ever heard of a connection between the above needed file
> and the WINDOWS LOGO?
>
> At the moment, HP are telling him all sorts of things like 'download
> service pack 1',
> but he already has Pack2.
>
> Truely hope you guys can help as he is 400 miles away and doesnt
> capiche N/G's at all.
>
> Many thanks for reply,
>
> regards Jane

This is an issue that must be resolved with HP as it is an issue with
*THEIR* driver. MS does not, will not and indeed, cannot offer support with
3rd-party drivers.
on salads.

"jane" wrote:

> Hello to all,
> My first post here, hope I have correct group.
> My friend had to re-instal a Hewlett Packard printer, problems are
> the only thing he encountered.
> He has had numerous emails with HP but no solution, hope someone here can
> help.
> Each time he goes through the wizard he gets 7/8's of the way through it
> when it asks for USBSCAN.SYS file, and when he points it to where it is, he
> gets this message:::
> ** THE SOFTWARE YOU ARE INSTALLING FOR THE
> >> HARDWARE
> >> HP PSC 1310 SERIES HAS NOT PASSED WINDOWS LOGO TESTING COMPATIBLY WITH
> >> WINDOWS XP, CONTINUING YOUR INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE MAY IMPAIR
> >> OR
> >> DESTABILIZE THE CORRECT OPERATION OF YOUR SYSTEM EITHER IMMEDIATELY OR
> >> IN
> >> THE FUTURE, and two buttons under that message
> >> Button 1 { continue anyway) or Button 2 { stop installation} so I
> >> pressed
> >> continue.
> >> 4. File Needed came up again so I loaded it from C:\windows \drive
> >> 5. Found New Hardware wizard :- cannot install this hardware there was

Hi Jane
the HP site currently has latest updates for your friend's all-in-one
printer. did you try downloading the correct one and then reinstall?
> >> problem installing this hardware, hppsc 1310 series. WHY
> **********************
>
> Some of the above is his text either to me or to HPs help people.
> Here is another thing also, he borrowed a canon printer and installed it;
> it fired up and printed with no problems....... could his printer have a
> problem?
> It does seem unlikely as all he did was uninstal it then re-instal it.
> Has anyone ever heard of a connection between the above needed file and the
> WINDOWS LOGO?
>
> At the moment, HP are telling him all sorts of things like 'download service
> pack 1',
> but he already has Pack2.
>
> Truely hope you guys can help as he is 400 miles away and doesnt capiche
> N/G's at all.
>
> Many thanks for reply,
>
> regards Jane

Hi, Jane.

Yes, this is a correct group for peer-to-peer support from other users of
WinXP. But what you really need is better support from HP for their
printer. The rule is: Microsoft writes Windows; hardware makers write the
drivers that enable their hardware to work with Windows. The ball is
clearly in HP's court, but we'll help as much as we can.

First, go here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareListlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=374568&os=228

If you don't find the drivers and other help you need there, come back here
and tell us what you tried and what happened when you tried it. When you
post back, be sure to include the exact model (1311, 1315, etc.) and which
driver (basic or full feature) he is trying to install.

Also, let us know if he downloaded and used the All-In-One Software Removal
Utility offered near the bottom of that web page. HP's drivers are so
insinuated into Windows that we sometimes have to use a tool like this to
dig out all the HP-installed garbage before we can install the printer
cleanly all over again. :>( I had to go through this kind of project for
my HP OfficeJet G-55 about 3 years ago (when HP finally produced
full-featured drivers for the printer I had bought TWO YEARS earlier!). HP
produces great printers; they also produce good drivers for them -
eventually. Installing those drivers usually goes smoothly, but when it
doesn't, we often find ourselves in a maze of twisty little passages (to
quote the classic computer game, Adventure).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX