Should I replace my AMD-K6 3D PROCESSOR

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
My pc is a bit slow and Ive been using mac for a while, so dont laugh if im in the stone ages. But my pc is slow and is always playing up.
I only really use it for burning/ backing up discs. But now having problems with that.
Should I upgrade my Ram from 256mb to 1 mb?

Many thanks!
:wink:

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
:D
Im running Xp pro
My pc is Compaq and it has 2 slots which have 2 x 64mb ram and the pci 1z I dont reall need ( like the original graphics/sound card/ usb1 are housed all in 1 box type unit inside the pc, So I guess I just swap my 256 with a 512 card yeah? Is there any makes to avoid?

Reagarding my reinstall, I am having Big troubles just reinstalling the pc to its original state???

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
As far as having problems with burning CDs, can you describe exactly the problem you are experiencing, and the burning software you are using? It could be anything from a software issue to a hardware malfunction (such as the CD burner going bad).

Can you tell us the exact model of your Compaq computer? The reason being, it may not support more than 256MB of ram (total). With the exact model we can determine if 2 256MB sticks of ram will work. I'm sure 1GB of ram is impossible on this old of a rig.

As for your old computer, I'm afraid that other than ram and perhaps a hard drive upgrade (what size hard drive do you have?), there isn't much else that can be done. I use my K6-2 for playing old games, office use, and dial up internet. For these things it works fine. Burning CDs on your computer, while I'm sure it works, would be a job much better served with some newer hardware. Do you know of anyone giving away an old computer? I have several friends with 800-1000MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon computers that are free for the taking. You may want to see what you can find in your local paper.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble reinstalling your software. This computer is far too old to have windows XP Pro installed from the factory, so I assume you or someone you know did it the first time around. Do you know anyone handy with computers that can help you with the reinstall?

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
your sig is intresting heh

XP with 512mb ram norm smooth 256 any thing that loads after XP has loaded will start to swap between the hdd and ram alot (Norton no go for 256 unless your want an pc to go very slow)

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
1gb won't be possible, for that im nearly 100% sure. 512 probably. aside gaming or running todays software like msn 8 with plus etc, that pc will do "fine" for what you're using it atm and webbrownsing as well (that if you're not going to watch youtube videos or anything that uses macromedia flash, cuz the cpu wont handle it no mather how much ram you'll add into it :D)

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
My pc is a bit slow and Ive been using mac for a while, so dont laugh if im in the stone ages. But my pc is slow and is always playing up.
I only really use it for burning/ backing up discs. But now having problems with that.
Should I upgrade my Ram from 256mb to 1 mb?

Many thanks!

Dudes like this always come and write this funny things :)

I like it cuz they make me laugh a lil bit... :p Its my new signature XD!

BTW, to answer your question and dont say that i came to make fun of you, first find out if your motherboard supports 1gb of ram, if it does, then yes upgrade.

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the responce.

Let me just say my pc has been working fine up until recently and my philips dvd drive has started to creak and playback and burning has just got worse, so think its time for a new 1.
My Pc is a presario (beige) 7482
AMD k6-2 55omhz
35gb
256 mb ram
dvd/cd drive philps 824p
3dfx voodoo 5 (no new driver)
Ive been using Any dvd/ clone dvd and they worked fine also til recently and now just keeps saying error to clean disc surface etc.

Right now, I could do with just getting it booted up somehow with my system win 98se restore disc....

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Gettin 512mb would make your computer faster enough to do what you want, but 1gb is not that expensive now and can make your computer work really fast and give you a better perfomance with a small amount of $.

You can even get a 100Gb (or less) hard drive (which will outperform 3x or even 4x times your current one) for a cheap price too.

If you know how to do this, it would be great, you can get your system upgraded for around $100 maybe and that should make it last a little longer.

Dont spend more than the necessaru because as others would say, its not worth it. Upgrading RAM and HDD would make it prettyfaster than what it is now.

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Pc is 7 years old
Dvd drive is about 4 I think, but has had lots of use and has been great til now.
However by my experience until now, I feel that with a few upgrades I must be able to get this running smoothly again. However I am up 4 all the advise given. Just firstly want to know how to restore my pc?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
But if you're going to spend $ on a new dvd drive and more ram, you sure you couldnt spend a little more on a new system? Not making fun of you or your system really, i'm pretty able to "scale" systems and for example i have here at my side an old pentium III slot1 550 mhz, and it does pretty fine for what i use it for, but you could benefit from a newer system because wasting cash on old sdram won't be much worth imo.
I mean, if you go to a store and you buy todays cheap of the cheapest mobo\cpu\ram, it will always be like 4 or 5 times faster than that amd k6 is.
So..yes, it might be time to replace your amd-k6.
Anyways, i still have my amd k6, and i still love it because i had much fun in the past with it!

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
you should just get a new computer. Even retail PCs starting at $400 come with dvd burners and everything else 100gb+ hd, 512mb-1gb memory, new OS.

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
A new dvd drive would be about £40 and ram would be £23
That no where near what a new system would be
I can not afford much really and need that advise to weigh the odds up.
Many Thanks

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i'd say try your hardest to get rid of your k6... i had one forever, most of my computer-life (i'm still young) and in retrospect it was hell. please, for your sake and mine, try to begin anew.

*shudders*

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hm, i understand your point of not wanting to buy a new system if that one has been so trustworthy till now. Do this, tell me\us your motherboard model and how and your actual ram config atm. (if it is 2x128 or 1 256mb stick get it?)
As for the motherboard reference, if you dont know how to get it do this, go to 'Start->Execute' and write this -> dxdiag . Then it might ask something with Yes or No as options, click Yes. Then you will have there your system specs, and you motherboard reference.

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks
But this is my main 1st problem, I cant load my windows after trying to install it as On trying to reinstall with my upgrade disc it stops with blue screen and says " ERROR 1527 BAD UPDATE SEQUENCE NUMBER
Could this be down to my disc drive and it not reading from it properly?
How do I get round this please?

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
You said you were using a mac. If it is a newer mac and you are more comfortable with it mabye staying with that would work. However if you want to get into using a PC primairily you would be best to get a new system.

Buzby

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I use mac
But this issue is with my pc as stated and I only use it for burning dvds really as I cant on the mac (Havent any available software or dvd drive).

Im going to go for 256mb ram
and get a new dvd player
and I was just considering what I should do with my Amd.

So the question now really boils down to what at its value for money can I replace this with????
(Im currently trying to reinstall my os so I can find out the spec of my motherboard, but I have 2 slots used for 2x 64mb of ram and was going to replace it with 512mb).
Is replacing the ram a easy process? Like slotting it in and using a driver or something???

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
oh man the good ol' amd k6, thats what powered my first beefy computer, but imo i think its time to retire the system. You can even build pc's that are at least 3x better than that one for $200-$300

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
You know, Sdram, that is what your amd k6 uses, is way too expensive nowadays, because it has been discontinued for a long time now. And you might be burning money for nothing, because i almost bet that each slot can only read 128 mb. For that reason, you should get your mobo reference before spending any amount of money. And again, Sdram is very too expensive, i would rather waste just a little more and get new mobo\cpu\ram.