MTP device refuses to get installed. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello Everybody:

System: Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2

My system is having a problem with installing the MTP device for already 2 months (or so).

I connect my cellular phone (Sony Ericsson C905a) under every possible mode (Phone, Media Transfer, Mass Storage etc.) to the computer and the system refuses or can't install it's MTP device. I think it does install all of the phone's other features accept this specific one.

I tried to connect my camera also a Sony one, and again the same problem. I don't know if it's Sony's problem or a general problem with all of the devices that have this feature (MTP), and unfortunately I can't check it.

I can pass media from the phone to the computer and the other way around but only by taking out the card and connecting it to it's USB adapter. It's really annoying to take out the card every time and put it back, and with the camera I can't at all because I don't have the adequate adapter.

Any help on how to fix it?

Thank you.

Solution
For MTP installation problems:

1) Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A2E73160-E862-4F19-BB26-C0CAFE798955&displaylang=en

2) Press the Continue button (Near the Validation Required)

3) Press the Download button (Near the genuine Microsoft software)

4) In case that the download hasn't started automatically within 30 seconds, press the Start Download button.

5) Save the file to your Desktop where you can easily find it.

6) Execute the file (Double click on the mouse's left button).

7) Next -> Repair -> Repair -> Finish -> Choose "Yes" so the system restarts itself.

That's it, now the MTP devices should work correctly.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Now I know that the problem is not Sony's, I connected a Sandisk MP3 (That I suddenly remembered that I had) and it shows the same problem. Windows for some reason refuses or can't install the MTP device.

I don't think that the problem is with the Anti-Virus/Firewall, because they were turned on when the MTP device did get install (As I said a new and very annoying, I should say, problem).

Any other ideas?

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Try logging on as a different user (if one doesn't exist, create it in the Control Panel) and see if the MTP device installs from the new/other profile. Sometimes a profile will 'become resistent to change'.

Another thing to try is to go into the Device Manager and look for a n “Unknown MTP device”, uninstall it if it is there and then scan for hardware changes. Sometimes USB devices choke on installation and then do not recognize for subsquent connectiosn until you clear the unknown device entry.

Let me know how you make out.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
First of all, digitalprospecter thank you for your help.

About the first advise, I tried opening a new user and still with no success, the same problem regarding the MTP device.

About the second advise, I tried it already at the same day that the problem appeared and today too to give it another chance, and with no success in here too. After uninstalling the MTP device and finding it again with the "search for new devices" option, the system (Windows) tries to install the device and again the same problem. When I choose the "update driver" option it says that the driver is up to date.

Isn't any Windows update that can solve this problem? Usually a Windows update messes things up and then the next one fixes everything. The problem code is 31.

Thank you again.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi,

Code 31 usually refers to a device driver issue. You could try uninstalling anything software in Control Panel that has to do with Sony and your phone. Uninstall your USB devices in Device Manager, and then let Windows redetect everything.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
The problem as I mentioned before, is not with Sony's devices, it has this problem with any device that consists with and MTP device.

And I just can't connect this problem with any thing that I have done during this last months.

Can't it be a faulty update of Microsoft?

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I understand what you are saying about MTP devices, however you stated earlier that both MTP devices you had to test with were both Sony products and therefore Sony cannot be ruled out unless you have tried another brand of MTP devices since your post.

Anything can be caused by a bad update, but your error code doesn't really point that way.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

I actually did mention it, and that is why I eliminated this option of Sony's malfunction.

I'll continue surfing the Internet hoping to find a solution for this problem... any way, if you can, post any other advised that you might have, hopefully one will solve it. If I find a solution I will sure post it.

Thank you again!

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, I found out what the problem is, and it came from an unexpected source.

My MP3 (Sandisk) didn't work well and among other problems, it's MTP device failed to install. I called Sandisk's support center, explained them the problem and they helped me with all of the problems of the MP3 including the MTP related one.

To fix the problem, follow the next steps:

1) Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A2E73160-E862-4F19-BB26-C0CAFE798955&displaylang=en

2) Press the Continue button (Near the validation required button)

4) In case that the download hasn't started automatically within 30 seconds, press the Start Download button.

5) Save the file.

7) Next -> Repair -> Repair -> Finish -> Choose "Yes" so the system restarts itself.

If someone want to quote this last post so I can select him as the "Best Answer" I would appreciate it. By doing it, the thread will appear as solved and people will be able to get an answer for this problem.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
For MTP installation problems:

2) Press the Continue button (Near the Validation Required)

5) Save the file to your Desktop where you can easily find it.

Solution

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Gandalf you should erase the word "SONY" from the first line of your post. The explanation regards to MTP devices in generally. In fact this explanation was given to me by Sandisk's support center.

Thank you.

suspeso

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello!

I don't know what happend, about 4 months ago i have a Walkman XSeries working perfectly in MTP, and i use it to transfer a file from another computer with a virus, so i came back uninstalled the mtp driver and scan it. The virus was eliminated but bad luck to me, after i uninstall the mtp i wasn't able to reinstall it.

I try almost everything i found on the internet, and so far i haven't fix my prob.

But this method works fine on my other XP PC. But it's not working on my Windows 7 (x64).

It keeps installing the WPD FileSystem, instead massive storage or MTP.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.