Question about DDR3 1333 vs DDR3 1600

Midnighthowler

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hi all, I was just wondering other than speed difference and possible volt difference, what if any, is the main difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600? I am putting together a system with a core I7 930 processor and I was wondering what would be best to use. I know the processor only offically uses 1066 and you have to overclock to to get to 1333 and 1600. If you wanted to use the system for gaming should I get the 1600 and underclock for tigher timing setting or just get the 1333 with the lowest CAS setting? I have check other post here but I really still a little confused between these two DDR3 differences. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. :p

Solution
You want to know everything, read Memory - more than you wanted to know! (utterly shameless self-promotion [:bilbat:2] )

Neither the SPD, nor the XMP on fast DIMMs, will work for setting up more than a DIMM per channel - has been ever thus: didn't work for 775's, doesn't for 1156's, won't for 1366's - just isn't made for that! To get higher ram speed specified in the XMP, and use more than one DIMM per channel, requires that you load one DIMM per channel, enable XMP - write down all the memory parameters; disable XMP, set, manually, all the memory parameters. Boost the Vdimm a bit - say, for 1.65V RAM, give it 1.68V; bump the QPI/Vtt...

geno777

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I don't mean to hijack your thread,but I would like to know the answer to .I was over at newegg and read a review that has me a little confused . Heres the comments .

I could not get it to run at advertised rating when 2 sets of this kit are installed on an Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard (also bought from newegg) paired with Core i7 965 Extreme. I'm supposed to be able to run the CPU at 6400 GT/s QPI speed standard with 1600 DDR3 ram without any overclocking. BIOS tells me of an overclock error even though I'm not even overclocking. If anybody from GSkill can contact me about this with any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Manufacturer Response:.
Dear customer

we apologize for this inconvenience. however, the Intel I7 memory controller is not good to run with 6 modules installed. they need to have stronger single. if you use rated DDR3 1600 memory 6 modules, the best you can get is DDR3 1333. if you want to run DDR3 1600, you need to purchase DDR3 1800 or 1866 memory. there is nothing wrong with each memory modules, it just I7 doesn't support over DDR3 1066 if you check out the Intel I7 website. they only support up to DDR3 1066...........

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskill.com
RMA Dept Email: rma@gskill.com
G.SKILL Forum: http://www.gskill.com

bilbat

Splendid
You want to know everything, read Memory - more than you wanted to know! (utterly shameless self-promotion [:bilbat:2] )

Neither the SPD, nor the XMP on fast DIMMs, will work for setting up more than a DIMM per channel - has been ever thus: didn't work for 775's, doesn't for 1156's, won't for 1366's - just isn't made for that! To get higher ram speed specified in the XMP, and use more than one DIMM per channel, requires that you load one DIMM per channel, enable XMP - write down all the memory parameters; disable XMP, set, manually, all the memory parameters. Boost the Vdimm a bit - say, for 1.65V RAM, give it 1.68V; bump the QPI/Vtt so that it's within .38-.40 of the Vdimm; multiply the tRFC you got from XMP by 1.15, rounded to the next highest integer, set tRFC to that number; make sure your RAM's command rate is set to 2N (or '2', or '2T' - however your BIOS presents it...

If they made the SPD/XMP 'workable' for the few people using more than one stick per channel, the vastly larger remainder would be 'stuck' with a 'non-optimal' setting, as the RAM changes slow it down a teensy bit. You could make the argument, that when the manufacturer sells kits of 4 or 6 DIMMs, they should have a properly 'compensated' SPD/XMP - but mfg just stick 2 2x2 kits in one package to sell you eight - they're the same parts!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS