Moving os onto an ssd from hdd

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi! I built my computer about a month ago with a 500gb 7200 rpm seagate hard drive. The boot times are slow and I have an extra 64 gb ssd. I was wondering if / how I can switch just my os and a couple other applications onto the ssd just for the faster boot times, but use the hdd for regular storage. Thanks in advance!

Moving your OS without formatting and reinstalling everything is not recommended. I had this same problem when I bought my SSD, and here's what I did:

1. Format and install a brand new OS on the SSD.
2. Install the programs you want to run on the SSD.
3. Remove duplicates from HDD.
4. Use a program (WinDirStat) to find out what stuff is taking your space and can be deleted.
5. When needed, create symbolic links with mklink between the SSD and the HDD. This allows you to "fool" the OS into treating a folder in one disk as it were in the other. (Install stuff into HDD. Move stuff you are currently using to SSD by cut+paste. Run it as if it were still in the HDD, except it loads from the SSD).

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Thank you very much! I would like to avoid having to buy a new os because I built my computer recently and I don't have much left over. Also, What is not recommended about moving my os without formatting?

You won't need to buy another one, unless it's OEM. You can use the same one, just activate it as normal. If you have any problems with the activations (shouldn't happen), call Microsoft and they will fix it.

By moving your OS into another drive you may have problems with your boot process. You will have better chances if both the SSD and the HDD are connected to the same SATA controller. If you rather try this than possibly deal with Microsoft support, try Acronis (check here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254091-32-changing-reinstalling).

Quote: You won't need to buy another one, unless it's OEM End quote.
.. Full, upgrade, or OEM makes no difference in this case. Your good to go as far as doing a re-install onto the SSD .

Also my recommendation.
Two things: One DISCONNECT your HDD while doing the Windows install to the SSD. (2) Verify/Set your BIOS to AHCI PRIOR to the Install.

Note: If the Windows 7 was installed on your HDD with the BIOS set to IDE, you will need to change to AHCI by editing your registry an rebooting.
If it was set to Raid, may be harder and in this case it I would :
(A) Back up YOUR data and files and delete all partitions. (B) Then after installing win 7 on SSD, reconnect the HDD and copy your data back to the HDD.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

ok When I installed win7 I just put it in the dvd drive and followed what it told me to do... I didn't mess around in the bios at all

Then not sure as to what your BIOS default is.
You caqn download AS SSD and run it - DO NOT need to run the bench mark. It's primarily for SSDs. But if you just open it, look at the upper left, it will identify the driver. If's msahci, you're good. If it shows pcide then your bios is set to IDE and needs to be changed.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Cool thanks! I think I will try moving it tommorow :)

appaly

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
This is a free migration tool, AOMEI Partition Assistant 5.0 Home Edition provides the function to migrate OS to SSD. (check here: http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html)

TRENDING THREADS