Planescape Torment: What's good about it?

Hey there

I love the BG series and IWD as well.
What's good about Planescape Torment?

Thanks

RA <asdf@ra.com> wrote:

: I love the BG series and IWD as well.
: What's good about Planescape Torment?

Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK ME!! PICK ME!!"

--
Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com

> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?

Plot. Excellent story-telling. Atmosphere. NPCs.

For me, the Planescape setting alone is attractive enough (I don't know any
other game that is based on Planescape, except the CoGI project of NWN).
With all other good elements together, PS:T is undoubtly the best CRPG on my
list.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

KC Wong wrote:

>>I love the BG series and IWD as well.
>>What's good about Planescape Torment?
>

> Plot. Excellent story-telling. Atmosphere. NPCs.
>
> For me, the Planescape setting alone is attractive enough (I don't know any
> other game that is based on Planescape, except the CoGI project of NWN).
> With all other good elements together, PS:T is undoubtly the best CRPG on my
> list.

Agreed. There are very few novels with a better story-line. Perhaps the
best part is that nothing is immediately obvious. My favorite game ever.

Enkidu

Jason Compton <jcompton@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message news:<cipcji$ns$1@new7.xnet.com>...

> Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK ME!! PICK ME!!"

We sure do.

-Echon

The Fields of the Dead
http://echon.cyg.dk/bgmod

RA wrote:
> Hey there
>
> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?
>
> Thanks

Atmosphere. Deep, complex and though-provoking storyline. Excellent
character interaction. It's a masterpiece (and I don't say that lightly).

If you've ever enjoyed a good book, you'll probably love this. Best PC RPG
ever made? Certainly. Well...until PS:T II.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk

"Jason Compton" <jcompton@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message

> Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK
ME!! PICK ME!!"

When yeh start in on rattlin' yeh bone-box like that I cannae understand it.

> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?

I didn't like the game. It's deap, yes. And many funny creature. But I
could not get involved with the nonamed. It wasn't me in the game. Unlike
Viconia in bg. I understood her story, and I wanted to help her. She was my
companion to the very end. The nonamed was a figure on the screen, but not
in my mind. I played pt in about 10 hours, but it was wasted hours. The
200hours in bg2 was a long, joyful partytime. Like the many hours with my
mage in Elder scrolls 3. Bernt E
--
-----------\\---------\\//---------//-----------
Og her hopper Nøtteliten: "Hei på deg"

"RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in news:FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54:

> Hey there
>
> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?

I really tried to get into PST...however I was always looking for that bit
more all the time.

PST seemed bland to me, maybe it's because it had a lack of action, I know
this was done on purpose to try and engross the 'reader', but for me it
never really captured my imagination.

Neverwinter Nights seemed to be the flip side of the coin, with too much
action and not enough plot. Again after trying and trying I could never
'get into it'.

BG1 and 2 seemed to have the right blend of action and plot...and captured
me entirely.

> > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> > What's good about Planescape Torment?
> >
> I didn't like the game. It's deap, yes. And many funny creature. But I
> could not get involved with the nonamed. It wasn't me in the game. Unlike
> Viconia in bg. I understood her story, and I wanted to help her. She was
my
> companion to the very end. The nonamed was a figure on the screen, but not
> in my mind. I played pt in about 10 hours, but it was wasted hours. The
> 200hours in bg2 was a long, joyful partytime. Like the many hours with my
> mage in Elder scrolls 3. Bernt E

Viconia and TNO are different - can't be compared that way. Viconia is a
NPC, a companion of the protagonist (which means, you). OTOH you are TNO.
Viconia to the protagonist in BG is like Annah or Fall-from-grace to TNO in
PS:T.

Also roleplay is about assuming other roles... you don't have to be TNO. You
pretend to be him - you have amnesia. The game provided you all TNO knows
about: You've lost your memories, you woke up in Dusties' place, you're
horribly scarred, and a floating skull with no manners has just decided to
stick with you no matter you want or not.

Some like to roleplay characters similar to themselves... some like to
roleplay characters completely different. TNO is such a role.

Hi,

"RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in message news:FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54...
> Hey there
>
> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?
>
> Thanks

Well differences with BG and IWD. In PST you also has to read a lot and
fight a little less. It has an excellent story and a very original
environment (lot's of very different places and characters). I enjoyed the
game very much. After BG this is the second on my list of great RPG's.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

"RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in message news:<FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54>...
> Hey there
>
> I love the BG series and IWD as well.
> What's good about Planescape Torment?
>
> Thanks

i appreciated the large number of side quests. what bothered me about
torment was:

- alot of the humor and dialogue was a little juvenile. juvenile in
the same way a kid that laughs when poking a dead cat with a stick is.
some of the dialogue is extremely well done, but the dumb parts kinda
ruin it. most likely they had one or more good authors and one or more
retards.

- the game ends just when it starts to get good. why bother leveling
up your characters after getting back from that other dimension if you
can't use them anyway? and i spent forever power-levelling the sewers
trying to get the 2 super rare ultimate drops from those powerful
demons that spawn there later in the game, only to not get the chance
to use the extra ac points anyway. also, the ending was a little of a
letdown too, IMO...

> Some like to roleplay characters similar to themselves... some like to
> roleplay characters completely different. TNO is such a role.

Thank you. That's perhaps the reason why I don't like pt. I like to play
rpg-figures that ar similar to myself and my interest. That's why I usual
play good mage:) Bernt E
--
-----------\\---------\\//---------//-----------
Og her hopper Nøtteliten: "Hei på deg"
http://www.notteliten.com

Planescape: Torment feels a lot more like an adventure game than a
traditional D&D computer RPG to me. Your choices in dialogue are the most
important choices you'll make, for instance, and you can't create your own
character. That said, it's still a great game, into whatever group it falls.
Wonderful atmosphere, good characters, very interesting story. Some people
love it and think it's the best game ever; some people think it's way
overrated. I don't think it's the best game ever, but if you can find it for
$50 or less, it's well worth it in my opinion.