Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?

electro

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2004

Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?

Btw, why don't standard ethernet cables work on Xbox?

"electro" <electro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?
>
> Btw, why don't standard ethernet cables work on Xbox?

yes.

standard cables won't work for systemlink because the send and receive need
to be switched.

On 19 Jul 2005 13:40:21 -0700, in article
<1121805621.422183.91300@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, electro drawled...

>I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

If I may...

The standard ethernet cables are a straight-through cabling. The first wire on
one end goes all the way through the cable to the opposing side. The cable
needed for the XBox is called a cross-over ethernet cable. I don't remember
which terminals/pins are crossed, but two of them indeed switch places from one
side to the other. Systemlink cables are this cross-over kind.

For my setup, I've got a short (18") cross-over cable, an ethernet coupling
adapter, and a very long standard ethernet cable. Much cheaper. As long as
there is a cross-over in the line, it all works good.

--
Sir Real http://www.sirrealcomix.ws/
tosspam@aol.com abuse@aol.com abuse@yahoo.com abuse@hotmail.com

Here is the easiest way to explain it...

If you want to play XBL over the internet then you would use an CAT5
ethernet cable.

If you want to play systemlink games over a server like Gamespy the you
would have to use a CAT5 crossover cable.

electro wrote:
> I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

A "standard" ethernet cable has wires connecting pin 1 on one end to pin
1 on the other end, pin 2 to pin 2, etc., etc. This works fine for
connecting network cards (there's one in the xbox) to routers, hubs or
switches.

If, however, you want to connect two network cards (two xboxes) together
without a hub, you must use a "crossover" cable. I presume that is what
a "system link cable" is. So, it should work with an Xbox 360 if it
is connected to another Xbox 360 (or network card) directly. Ethernet
is a pretty solid standard, so I doubt Microsoft will go against it.

Any standard ethernet crossover cable will work. You can get them anywhere
for $2.

>I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

Standard ethernet cable - 8 "pins" or cunductors. These 8 pins are set in
pairs. Blue, orange, green and brown. A crossover cable has the 568a wiring
standard on one end and the 568b standard on the other. A straight through
is either 568a or B but the same on both ends. Ethernet requires only two
pairs to transmit and receive. The pins for 568b are Orange is 1 and 2 Green
is 3 and 6 Blue is 4 and 5 and brown is 7 and 8. On 568a Green is 1 and 2
Orange is 3 and 6 Blue is 4 and 5 and Brown is 7 and 8. Get it? 1,2 and 3,6
roll on a crossover.