"RUN AS" How do I turn it off??

Rich

Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
"running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??

I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
delete it without doing any harm?
Regards

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Run As Dialog Opens When Double Clicking a Shortcut.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cc0n$nr6$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
> "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
> permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
> and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
> place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
>
> I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
> delete it without doing any harm?
> Regards

Rich

You are a **STAR** , DK, your prog works brilliantly, and your site is now
in my bookmarks. No more annoying pop-ups and time-wasting.
Cheers, R

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
> "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
> for
> permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
> and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
> place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
>
> I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
> delete it without doing any harm?
> Regards

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell

Make sure there is no default values set.

"Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cc0n$nr6$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
> "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks for
> permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
> and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
> place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
>
> I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can I
> delete it without doing any harm?
> Regards

Rich

Where do I need to go to find the file: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell"
please? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am a windows novice when things begin
to get technical.
Cheers. R

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell

Make sure there is no default values set.

"Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
> "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
> for
> permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
> and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
> place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
>
> I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
> delete it without doing any harm?
> Regards

Type regedit in Start Run

"Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d8cs4t$nnp$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Where do I need to go to find the file: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell"
> please? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am a windows novice when things begin
> to get technical.
> Cheers. R
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell
>
> Make sure there is no default values set.

> "Rich" <r.j.watts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i hope someone here can help me. Somehow, I have a "run as" command
> > "running" all the time. Whenever I attempt to open/run a program it asks
> > for
> > permission and which user should be using it. This is very time consuming
> > and extremely annoying - especially as I did not set this up in the first
> > place. So, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO TURN IT OFF, please??
> >
> > I cannot open the exe file in windows and nothing else seems to work. Can
> > delete it without doing any harm?
> > Regards

Thanks, Rich. Glad to help.