URGENT help needed, can't logon

After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:

I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
luck?????)
Thanks for any help. Josie

begin 666 dot_transp.gif
J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
`
end

Josie wrote:
> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win
> XP and rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as
> incorrect. This is a free standing PC only networked for DSL
> connection with a laptop. I have done multiple google searches and am
> sort of overwhelmed and fearful of suggestions I found. The option
> that seems most practical to me is the following which uses the XP CD
> to repair the OS:
>

> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing
> Solutions at
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>
> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will
> damage or remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options
> that are free? Please help am in the middle of a photography project
> (the reason I needed more storage room and went for the external
> drive, bad idea???? or just bad luck?????)
> Thanks for any help. Josie

Windows XP Home or Professional?

If XP Home, boot into safe mode - log in as the user "administrator" and for
the password, just press ENTER. (blank password..)
If XP Professional, reboot and press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row - log in as
the user "administrator" and for the password, just press ENTER. (blank
password..)

If you can get logged on as ADMINISTRATOR, simply go in now and change the
other users password to something you will now know.

Other options...

Look here:

and/or try these..
Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
you in making this new CD from the old one.

Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan, thanks for your ideas. I have Xp Home and I have found no way to
move beyond the log on to Win window. Anything I type for a password (have
tried multiple variations of password as I've not forgotten it) I get the
Log On message window telling me system could not log me on.
Please tell me, if I buy software on line through my laptop, can you
recommend any that is not super expensive and that is really going to help
me fix this in the least complex way? Or should I just take my PC to a shop
for it?
Thank you and regards, Josie

> Josie wrote:
> > After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win
> > XP and rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as
> > incorrect. This is a free standing PC only networked for DSL
> > connection with a laptop. I have done multiple google searches and am
> > sort of overwhelmed and fearful of suggestions I found. The option
> > that seems most practical to me is the following which uses the XP CD
> > to repair the OS:
> >

> > I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing
> > Solutions at
> > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
> >
> > Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will
> > damage or remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options
> > that are free? Please help am in the middle of a photography project
> > (the reason I needed more storage room and went for the external
> > drive, bad idea???? or just bad luck?????)
> > Thanks for any help. Josie
>
> Windows XP Home or Professional?
>
> If XP Home, boot into safe mode - log in as the user "administrator" and
for
> the password, just press ENTER. (blank password..)
> If XP Professional, reboot and press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row - log in
as
> the user "administrator" and for the password, just press ENTER. (blank
> password..)
>
> If you can get logged on as ADMINISTRATOR, simply go in now and change the
> other users password to something you will now know.
>
> Other options...
>
> Look here:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>
> and/or try these..
> Hack your password:
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
>
> Another Password Hack:
> http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html
>
> If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
> really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
> You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
> slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would
assist
> you in making this new CD from the old one.
>
> Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>
> Perform a Repair installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Malke

Josie wrote:

> Shenan, thanks for your ideas. I have Xp Home and I have found no way
> to move beyond the log on to Win window. Anything I type for a
> password (have tried multiple variations of password as I've not
> forgotten it) I get the Log On message window telling me system could
> not log me on.
> Please tell me, if I buy software on line through my laptop, can you
> recommend any that is not super expensive and that is really going to
> help me fix this in the least complex way? Or should I just take my PC
> to a shop for it?
> Thank you and regards, Josie

I'm not Shenan, but I don't think he'd mind my answering you. Try this
first: disconnect your external drive and then boot into Last Known
Good Configuration. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the
computer is starting up. This will get you to the correct menu to
choose LKGC.

If that doesn't work, then yes you should take your machine to a
professional computer repair shop if you are uncomfortable doing some
of the password recovery techniques that Shenan suggested. It is always
wise to know your own limitations and no shame to take the machine to
an expert (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke, I was able to get to LKGC mode to change identities and passwords on
two administrator settings (both are me, exclusive home user).
Unfortunately, after trying to restart in normal after the changes were made
in the LKGC mode, I was "welcomed" by the two new identities but the primary
administrator acct that I use almost exclusively did not respond to the new
password. So I went back to LKGC and used the secondary identity which did
respond to the new password being told that it is not the correct password.

So now I am unsure what to do next. This secondarary identity does not
contain all my current data. Outlook Express shows latest date used as April
05. System Restore does not appear listed in the start menu All
Programs-Accessories- SysTools, and Maxtor One touch and Retrospect do show
up in All Programs. Both identities appear in CP- Users Accts but the
primary is not in C:\Documents and Settings. It is as if it and all most
data on it has disappeared.

Idon't want to beat a dead horse over the head but its hard to give up and
not try to see if there is something else I can do before giving up. Do I
unistall Maxtor? Do I check disk for errors? Do I wait to hear from you to
find out how to restart? Or do I give up and accept the inevitability of
having to take it to a pro? Please comment and thanks so much for your help.
Josie

> Josie wrote:
>
> > Shenan, thanks for your ideas. I have Xp Home and I have found no way
> > to move beyond the log on to Win window. Anything I type for a
> > password (have tried multiple variations of password as I've not
> > forgotten it) I get the Log On message window telling me system could
> > not log me on.
> > Please tell me, if I buy software on line through my laptop, can you
> > recommend any that is not super expensive and that is really going to
> > help me fix this in the least complex way? Or should I just take my PC
> > to a shop for it?
> > Thank you and regards, Josie
> >
> I'm not Shenan, but I don't think he'd mind my answering you. Try this
> first: disconnect your external drive and then boot into Last Known
> Good Configuration. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the
> computer is starting up. This will get you to the correct menu to
> choose LKGC.
>
> If that doesn't work, then yes you should take your machine to a
> professional computer repair shop if you are uncomfortable doing some
> of the password recovery techniques that Shenan suggested. It is always
> wise to know your own limitations and no shame to take the machine to
> an expert (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Josie wrote:

> Malke, I was able to get to LKGC mode to change identities and
> passwords on two administrator settings (both are me, exclusive home
> user). Unfortunately, after trying to restart in normal after the
> changes were made in the LKGC mode, I was "welcomed" by the two new
> identities but the primary
> administrator acct that I use almost exclusively did not respond to
> the new
> password. So I went back to LKGC and used the secondary identity
> which did respond to the new password being told that it is not the
> correct password.
>
> So now I am unsure what to do next. This secondarary identity does not
> contain all my current data. Outlook Express shows latest date used as
> April 05. System Restore does not appear listed in the start menu All
> Programs-Accessories- SysTools, and Maxtor One touch and Retrospect do
> show up in All Programs. Both identities appear in CP- Users Accts but
> the primary is not in C:\Documents and Settings. It is as if it and
> all most data on it has disappeared.
>
> Idon't want to beat a dead horse over the head but its hard to give up
> and not try to see if there is something else I can do before giving
> up. Do I unistall Maxtor? Do I check disk for errors? Do I wait to
> hear from you to find out how to restart? Or do I give up and accept
> the inevitability of having to take it to a pro? Please comment and
> thanks so much for your help. Josie

Hi, Josie. It sure sounds like that Maxtor external somehow hosed your
user account. I don't know why that would happen, but maybe your next
step is to call Maxtor tech support. In the meantime, if you can get
into the system at all, under any login, make sure all hidden
files/extensions are shown (Folder Options>View tab). Then look under
Documents and Settings and see if you can see your original profile. If
you can, then just make a new user account (User Accounts applet in
Control Panel) and copy over the data from your original one. Here's a
link explaining how to copy the user account data:

Let me know how you get on with this.

Malke
--

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:55:41 -0500, "Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
>rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
>free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>

> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>
> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
>remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
>Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
>more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
>luck?????)
> Thanks for any help. Josie

Don't post binaries to a text newsgroup. I didn't need your tiny,
little hardly able to see it GIF file on my hard drive.

Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give up
and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on. First
I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend to
explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..

As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did not
post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
Thanks again, Malke. Josie

Malke

josie wrote:

> Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to
> give up and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I
> insisted on reloging in in spite of just one identity available post
> LKGC log on. First I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall
> the drivers and after that it all came back. Do not understand what
> happened and do not intend to explore this further as curious as I am.
> But I have two new identities and passwords in hand. Next step is SP2
> upgrade, crossing my fingers..
>
> As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I
> did not post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better
> ignored.
> Thanks again, Malke. Josie

I'm so glad you got things worked out. I very much appreciate that you
took the time to post back. After you recover from this unpleasantness,
you might want to go to Maxtor's tech support site for that particular
external drive and see if there are any known issues, user forums, etc.
I haven't bought any external drives yet (I've got usb thumb drives and
lots of computers) because I haven't needed one and money is always
tight. So I don't have any information on why the external could have
corrupted your user profile. I do know lots of people use the Maxtors
with no issues.

Make sure you back up all your data before installing Service Pack 2 and
that your computer is completely clean. Here are some SP2 guidelines
for your convenience:

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

Visiting a Service Center to Get SP2 - http://tinyurl.com/53xz4

Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist -

http://aumha.net - See SP2 forums

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#sp2 - Windows SP2 Information,
Guidelines and Troubleshooting

Take care,

Malke
--

"josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give
> up
> and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
> reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on.
> First
> I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
> that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend
> explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
> passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..
>
> As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did
> not
> post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
> Thanks again, Malke. Josie

Josie

Regarding the post about the attached graphics. There was a small graphic
file called dot_transp.gif attached to your first message. If you don't know
why this file was attached your computer may have been hijacked. Some
spammers use a small tranparent gif file to see if an email ends up being
opened. Transparent gif's can also be used to try and load an exploit on
someone's computer. Usually the the gif file is not attached though but
resides on a server under their control. In any case it points to something
happening that is not under your control. You should scan your compter for
virii and spyware.

Kerry

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:12:03 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>Don't post binaries to a text newsgroup. I didn't need your tiny,
>little hardly able to see it GIF file on my hard drive.

Glad to see I am not the only one that this practice bugs.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:27:39 -0500, "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give up
>and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
>reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on. First
>I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
>that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend to
>explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
>passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..
>
>As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did not
>post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
>Thanks again, Malke. Josie

You probably posted using HTML to this text group. If so, any
graphics in your message would have been sent up as well. Best to set
your newsreader to NOT use HTML when posting to USENET.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
YOU HELP ME?

"Josie" wrote:

> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>

> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>
> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
> luck?????)
> Thanks for any help. Josie

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Josie" wrote:

> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>

> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>
> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
> luck?????)
> Thanks for any help. Josie

Try here:

"DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
> YOU HELP ME?
>
> "Josie" wrote:
>
>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
>> and
>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
>> is a
>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>>

>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
>> at
>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>>
>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
>> or
>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
>> needed
>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
>> bad
>> luck?????)
>> Thanks for any help. Josie

A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair in
the past without data loss)

> "Josie" wrote:
>
>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
>> and
>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
>> is a
>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>>

>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
>> at
>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>>
>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
>> or
>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
>> needed
>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
>> bad
>> luck?????)
>> Thanks for any help. Josie

If you have a pre-SP1 or SP2 installation disk, you will need to reapply all updates since your install disk was created.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ufIaTUauFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair in
> the past without data loss)
> "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Josie" wrote:
>>
>>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
>>> and
>>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
>>> is a
>>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>>>

>>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
>>> at
>>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
>>> or
>>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
>>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
>>> needed
>>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
>>> bad
>>> luck?????)
>>> Thanks for any help. Josie

Good point, forgot to mention that. Thanks.
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
If you have a pre-SP1 or SP2 installation disk, you will need to reapply all
updates since your install disk was created.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair
>in
> the past without data loss)
> "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Josie" wrote:
>>
>>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
>>> and
>>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
>>> is a
>>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>>>

>>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing
>>> Solutions
>>> at
>>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
>>> or
>>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are
>>> free?
>>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
>>> needed
>>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
>>> bad
>>> luck?????)
>>> Thanks for any help. Josie

WERE YOU SUCCESSFUL?

"DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
> YOU HELP ME?
>
> "Josie" wrote:
>
>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
>> and
>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
>> is a
>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
>>

>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
>> at
>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
>>
>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
>> or
>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
>> needed
>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
>> bad
>> luck?????)
>> Thanks for any help. Josie

TRENDING THREADS