[KMV SPOILER] Ossian!

Ossian
Ally, 3 Pool

Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.

Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action. In
the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round for
each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
destruction that round.

WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

jnewqu...@difsol.com wrote:
> Ossian
> Ally, 3 Pool
>
> Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
>
> Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In
> the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
for
> each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> destruction that round.
>
> WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

A nice company for a War Ghoul or Shambling Hordes deck IMO. Play it if
your prey has a bad-ass Gun deck but watch out for the press...
..- Luis Duarte

jnewqu...@difsol.com wrote:
> Ossian
> Ally, 3 Pool
>
> Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
>
> Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In
> the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
for
> each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> destruction that round.
>
> WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

Yup, that's a dangerous ally. Watch out for his Traps, which will take
down many vampires that can't deal out more than 2 damage a round or
prevent 2 damage a round. Obedience won't stop him. S:CE will slow him
down, but he'll rush you again next turn. Recruit him on your first
turn with Jake Washington and watch the table groan.

OTOH, Ossian's a soft target for a Trophy deck. No fiddling with
diaberie necessary: if you can smack him for four, a Trophy is yours.
It doesn't take much combat to trump his: guns, prevention, big
strikes, Carrion Crows, whatever. Other combat allies like Warghouls,
Muddles and Shambling Hordes can take him down.

Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
Crocodile's Tongue.

> Yup, that's a dangerous ally. Watch out for his Traps, which will
take
> down many vampires that can't deal out more than 2 damage a round or
> prevent 2 damage a round. Obedience won't stop him. S:CE will slow
him
> down, but he'll rush you again next turn. Recruit him on your first
> turn with Jake Washington and watch the table groan.
>
> OTOH, Ossian's a soft target for a Trophy deck. No fiddling with
> diaberie necessary: if you can smack him for four, a Trophy is yours.
> It doesn't take much combat to trump his: guns, prevention, big
> strikes, Carrion Crows, whatever. Other combat allies like Warghouls,
> Muddles and Shambling Hordes can take him down.

Picking the right soft targets early (with Memories of Mortality/Trap),
he can get to a pretty high life total pretty fast. One more card for
the all-ally storyline deck ;).

> Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
> Crocodile's Tongue.

Well, not without planning for it, right. Tzimisce with Crows might not
care that much. Or Tremere packing Weather Control. Or !Ventrue with
prevention. Or someone with a Ghoul Retainer and a gun.

John

A big stink bag of a waste of 3 pool, I think.

He punches for two, so is likely to gain a net of one life, should you
not prevent his damage, dodge it+additional strike, or ranged combat
his ass. These are all pretty standard tricks for combat decks, so I
see he'll only be good at taking down people unprepared for combat, and
then taking on those who are prepared after he bulks up his life total.

But then again, with his Redlist trait, he makes a fine target for
combat decks to take down before he can get too nasty. Afraid he's
going to gain some life off of people and be too unstoppable later?
Rush it and take it down a few life, or kill it all together!

I'd like Ossian with a 44 magnum or something though. Can you imagine
how hot going to long and shooting for X (and gaining X life) can be
for this guy after a while? :)

<jnewquist@difsol.com> wrote in message news:1107273250.303405.273980@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Ossian
> Ally, 3 Pool
>
> Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
>
> Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action. In
> the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round for
> each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> destruction that round.
>

> WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

WHOA! Overpriced at 3 pool if you ask me.

Fred

Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> A big stink bag of a waste of 3 pool, I think.
>
> He punches for two, so is likely to gain a net of one life, should
you
> not prevent his damage, dodge it+additional strike, or ranged combat
> his ass. These are all pretty standard tricks for combat decks, so I
> see he'll only be good at taking down people unprepared for combat,
and
> then taking on those who are prepared after he bulks up his life
total.

Nobody who'd use him will do so in a vacuum (at least not more than
once). Play him with good support, and he is far more likely to become
good.

> But then again, with his Redlist trait, he makes a fine target for
> combat decks to take down before he can get too nasty. Afraid he's
> going to gain some life off of people and be too unstoppable later?
> Rush it and take it down a few life, or kill it all together!
>
> I'd like Ossian with a 44 magnum or something though. Can you imagine
> how hot going to long and shooting for X (and gaining X life) can be
> for this guy after a while? :)

Conceal it (or a few Berettas) out in a trap. Better yet, Conceal out
the Crimson Sentinel. Heh.

John

use abomination, compel the spirit, and you get two wolves

If only it could be concealed...

jnewqu...@difsol.com wrote:
> Conceal it (or a few Berettas) out in a trap. Better yet, Conceal out
> the Crimson Sentinel. Heh.
>
> John

He would be neat (if very expensive, given how vulnerable he is) with a
Ghoul Retainer.

Regards,

Patrick
Columbus, OH

Yes, but he makes a fine combo with Uriah Winter. Got to provide your
own target, but once he's worked up some sweat he becomes pretty
decent.

Regards,

Patrick
Columbus, OH

Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> A big stink bag of a waste of 3 pool, I think.
>
> He punches for two, so is likely to gain a net of one life, should
you
> not prevent his damage, dodge it+additional strike, or ranged combat
> his ass. These are all pretty standard tricks for combat decks, so I
> see he'll only be good at taking down people unprepared for combat,
and
> then taking on those who are prepared after he bulks up his life
total.

> I'd like Ossian with a 44 magnum or something though. Can you imagine
> how hot going to long and shooting for X (and gaining X life) can be
> for this guy after a while? :)

Yeah, equipment would help Ossian tons. Like guns, or a Bang Nakh, or a
Flak Jacket for rushing the non-combat guys to ignore their strike back
for 1...

-John Flournoy

Emmit Svenson wrote:
> Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
> Crocodile's Tongue.

Wierder card interaction: Fast Reaction. Let's just stand here and
stare at each other for the first round!

John

"Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> jnewqu...@difsol.com wrote:
> > Ossian
> > Ally, 3 Pool
> >
> > Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
> >
> > Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
> In
> > the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> > requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> > maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
> for
> > each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> > destruction that round.
> >
> > WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

> Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
> Crocodile's Tongue.

Do you mean because of the anti-Auspex ability? I'm not sure that would
apply to an action that the acting vampire played Crocodile's Tongue
on - it says "during this action" which appears to refer to Ossian's
enter-combat-action ability. LSJ?

Another rules question on that, while I'm here: If he takes his
enter-combat ability and the target plays Read Intentions in the first
round for a strike: dodge, does that strike: dodge work as normal? Or
does Ossian's "that vampire cannot use any maneuvers or strikes" ability
cause the vampire to become unable to "use" the strike: dodge, even
though he could play the card? Or is the vampire unable to play the
card on the first round at all, because he wouldn't be able to "use" the
dodge if he plays it, and you can't attempt something that you can't do?
The past tense on "has played a card" seems to indicate that Ossian's
ability doesn't kick in until the card has already been played, though,
in which case it wouldn't preemptively keep a card from being played?

Josh

it's not the time to ossify

Janne Hägglund wrote:
> "Screaming Vermillian" <vermillian69@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > He punches for two, so is likely to gain a net of one life,
>
> Yet another way of making Ossian fearsome: Harbringers recruit
him, play
> Martyr's Resilience. "It won't die!"

And if he does get killed, you pull him back out of the ash heap with
Nec.

John

> --
> hg@ "If you can't offend part of your audience,
> iki.fi there is no point in being an artist at all." -Hakim
Bey

"Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:369p84F4uo7g2U1@individual.net...

> "Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > jnewqu...@difsol.com wrote:
> > > Ossian
> > > Ally, 3 Pool
> > >
> > > Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
> > >
> > > Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
> > In
> > > the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> > > requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> > > maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
> > for
> > > each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> > > destruction that round.
> > >
> > > WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.
>
> > Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
> > Crocodile's Tongue.
>
> Do you mean because of the anti-Auspex ability? I'm not sure that would
> apply to an action that the acting vampire played Crocodile's Tongue
> on - it says "during this action" which appears to refer to Ossian's
> enter-combat-action ability. LSJ?

"This action" refers to the current action, whatever it may be.

Hit him with Croc Tongue and he must burn a life (two if superior) to
block and then, if successful and combat occurs (here's where you
want to play Change of Target :), the acting vampire cannot maneuver
or strike on the first round.

> Another rules question on that, while I'm here: If he takes his
> enter-combat ability and the target plays Read Intentions in the first
> round for a strike: dodge, does that strike: dodge work as normal? Or

Yes.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

<jnewquist@difsol.com> wrote in message
> Ossian
> Ally, 3 Pool
>
> Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
>
> Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In
> the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
for
> each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> destruction that round.
>

> WHOA! Pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

Hmm....

Weighted Walking Stick, Lucky Blow, and Pulled Fangs.....

Ossian gains 5 life, OUCH!

Add Mark of Damnation

Ossian gains 7 life with an optional press.

Add Form of Corruption

Hey look free vampire!

Hello Arika!
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr.
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

tzimisce_dragon wrote:
> <jnewquist@difsol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Well, not without planning for it, right. Tzimisce with Crows might
not
> > care that much. Or Tremere packing Weather Control. Or !Ventrue
with
> > prevention. Or someone with a Ghoul Retainer and a gun.
> >

> Well, a Tremere playing Weather control against that ally would be a
really
> stupid one, as the damage Ossian would get from WC (funny acronym for
> Weather Control, don't you think ? :p), would be recovered at the end
of the
> round due to his special, that gives him life equal to the blod lost
due to
> damage
> from the opposing vampire. Anyway, WC is a bad idea, BtoWater is a
good
> one...

Sorry, I meant to say "a couple of Weather Controls" (as in, enough to
kill him so he can't get life back). But yeah, right.

> Even though this ally can be brought down, he is good and can be a
real pain
> in the ass
> if he plays a trap to a Memories Mortalized vampire and torporize
him, while
> he gets out
> with +8 life...
Right, I think he's on the strong end of allies, overall.

"LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> "Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

action.
> > > In
> > > for
> >
> > Do you mean because of the anti-Auspex ability? I'm not sure that
would
> > apply to an action that the acting vampire played Crocodile's Tongue
> > on - it says "during this action" which appears to refer to Ossian's
> > enter-combat-action ability. LSJ?
>
> "This action" refers to the current action, whatever it may be.

Oh, okay. The phrase "this action" makes it seem like it's referring
back to a previously mentioned action. I usually expect "the current
action" for "the current action". :)

> > Another rules question on that, while I'm here: If he takes his
> > enter-combat ability and the target plays Read Intentions in the
first
> > round for a strike: dodge, does that strike: dodge work as normal?
Or

> Yes.

I like this answer fine. But doesn't "use" normally (as with Grenades)
include both the declaration of a strike and the resolution of a strike?
It seems like someone could make the argument that resolving the Dodge
is "using" the strike, and since the vampire has played a card requiring
Auspex during the current action, that vampire shouldn't be able to
"use" that strike.

Josh

ossianic

> "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
>> "Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> "This action" refers to the current action, whatever it may
>> be.
>
> Oh, okay. The phrase "this action" makes it seem like it's
> referring back to a previously mentioned action.

Eh? It _does_ refer back to the previously mentioned action:
whatever action got him into a combat with a vampire who was
played a card that requires Auspect. (Well, anyway, I didn't
think twice about it. And I'm usually pretty adept at seeing
alternative meanings depending on how a sentence is construed.)

>> > If he takes his enter-combat ability and the target plays
>> > Read Intentions in the first round for a strike: dodge,
>> > does that strike: dodge work as normal?
>
>> Yes.
>
> I like this answer fine. But doesn't "use" normally (as with
> Grenades) include both the declaration of a strike and the
> resolution of a strike? It seems like someone could make the
> argument that resolving the Dodge is "using" the strike, and
> since the vampire has played a card requiring Auspex during
> the current action, that vampire shouldn't be able to "use"
> that strike.

Granted, I don't know a lot about the finer points of this
interpretation to know if your objection holds much water or
not. But if you were right, this reduces to: "A minion who
plays Read Intentions (against Ossian) may not strike with Read
Intentions."

My one-word response: "Ugh!". :p

Fred

"Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:36a6t7F4v2kv7U1@individual.net...
> "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > "Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Another rules question on that, while I'm here: If he takes his
> > > enter-combat ability and the target plays Read Intentions in the
> first
> > > round for a strike: dodge, does that strike: dodge work as normal?
> Or
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I like this answer fine. But doesn't "use" normally (as with Grenades)
> include both the declaration of a strike and the resolution of a strike?
> It seems like someone could make the argument that resolving the Dodge
> is "using" the strike, and since the vampire has played a card requiring
> Auspex during the current action, that vampire shouldn't be able to
> "use" that strike.

Perhaps something like:
He played it, so he's using it. The use will conclude when the
strike resolves.

--

> "Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > first
> > Or
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > I like this answer fine. But doesn't "use" normally (as with
Grenades)
> > include both the declaration of a strike and the resolution of a
strike?
> > It seems like someone could make the argument that resolving the
Dodge
> > is "using" the strike, and since the vampire has played a card
requiring
> > Auspex during the current action, that vampire shouldn't be able to
> > "use" that strike.
>

> Perhaps something like:
> He played it, so he's using it. The use will conclude when the
> strike resolves.

So, since he's already declared the strike, Ossian's ability won't
intervene and make him retroactively stop using it? Sounds good.

Josh

will try not to sing out of key

On 1 Feb 2005 09:22:51 -0800, jnewquist@difsol.com wrote:

>Screaming Vermillian wrote:
>> I'd like Ossian with a 44 magnum or something though. Can you imagine
>> how hot going to long and shooting for X (and gaining X life) can be
>> for this guy after a while? :)
>
>Conceal it (or a few Berettas) out in a trap. Better yet, Conceal out
>the Crimson Sentinel. Heh.

Play Tremere.
Magic of the Smith some jackets.
Use Nod to transfer it to Ossian.
Magic of the Smith some ranged weapons if you fear you'll face ranged
combat.
Transfer it to Ossian.
The finishing touch: Magic of the Smith the Sword of Nuln :)

It is not that big of a setup since Magic of the Smith is a must in
any Tremere rush deck who uses equipment. Just add in some extra Nods
- they're trifle anyway - and a few Ossians. No big deal...

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:EKN National Coordinator for Brazil
--------------------------------------
Now a "luminary", whatever it means:
http://www.thelasombra.com/WhosWho/fabiomacedo.htm

jnewquist@difsol.com wrote:
> Ossian
> Ally, 3 Pool
>
> Unique Werewolf with 4 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
>
> Ossian May enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In
> the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round
for
> each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
> destruction that round.

Hmm I can see a fun combo here.
A Tremere vampire pulls out a Sword of Nuln, and Ossian takes it from
him ("hey shiny sword, thanks buddy, I'll bring it back after I've
chopped a few heads").
Ossian rushes someone (probably any vampire with a fair bit of blood
and no fortitude), whacks them with the sword via a lucky blow for 3
damage; they have to burn 6 blood to heal/prevent destruction. And if
they do, he gets all 6, and goes to 10 life :)

if you want to get really silly, next turn minion tap the tremere, Rave
the blood to him, then the turn after do it all again.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:49:43 -0500, "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

>"Joshua Duffin" <jtduffin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:369p84F4uo7g2U1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Weird card interaction: Ossian is the ally you don't want to hit with
>> > Crocodile's Tongue.
>>
>> Do you mean because of the anti-Auspex ability? I'm not sure that would
>> apply to an action that the acting vampire played Crocodile's Tongue
>> on - it says "during this action" which appears to refer to Ossian's
>> enter-combat-action ability. LSJ?
>
>"This action" refers to the current action, whatever it may be.
>
>Hit him with Croc Tongue and he must burn a life (two if superior) to
>block and then, if successful and combat occurs (here's where you
>want to play Change of Target :), the acting vampire cannot maneuver
>or strike on the first round.

Two more possible scenarios.
(Of course no one would want to play aura reading in combat with him,
I guess... at least in most circunstances)

Vamp A rushes Ossian with Nose of the Hound.
He doesn't have the maneuvers for the first round and does not strike.
Pretty simple, right?

>> Another rules question on that, while I'm here: If he takes his
>> enter-combat ability and the target plays Read Intentions in the first
>> round for a strike: dodge, does that strike: dodge work as normal? Or
>
>Yes.

And this one?

Vamp A is a Tzimisce and is blocked by Ossian.
It plays Carrion Crows and choses to strike with Canine Horde. It
won't kill Ossian. He draws a Primal Instinct and a Scorpion Sting.
Ossian declares hands for 2.
If he uses Primal Instinct to change his current strike, he loses his
capacity to strike from now on - because Primal just allows him to
play another strike a little later, and now it's too late - or can he
play the Sting because it resolves at the same time the Canine Horde
would resolve?